Does weight loss have to be so arduous, so complicated, so frustrating? No, it does not have to be. It seems so frustrating because instead of taking little steps towards our destination we try to take big jumps. We want instant results. Our need for instant gratification many times ends up in failure and frustrations. What is required is tiny little changes in our daily routine to master our weight and health. I call it ‘ Rule of 5’ Here is how this rule of five works!
1) Breathe to burn- take five deep breaths every hour. Count 1001.1002….. 1005 with each breath. Our breathing affects our metabolism and deep breathing helps to burn more fat. What does it require- just a reminder on a cellphone. No extra time or efforts
2) Think before you eat- Wait for five seconds before putting any food in the mouth. Think 1) Am I hungry 2) Is this healthy 3) Do I have other healthier options 4) How am I feeling at present 5) Am I eating to comfort my emotions What does it require- just little bit of mindfulness. Time requirement- 0
3) Move to lose- Do five minutes of brisk physical activity every hour. It is a misconception that if we work hard for an hour or more in a gym then we are OK to sit and relax for the rest of the day. Our body is designed to move throughout the day. What does it require- five minutes of extra effort every hour? If you have a desk job and cannot take a five-minute break then try to stretch feet up and down for five minutes while sitting down.
4) Count blessings to cut down cravings- Think of five things in your life that you feel grateful for every day. Practicing gratitude helps to control cravings and emotional eating. What does it require- no extra time or efforts just a blessed heart!
5) Eat right and the pants won't be tight! - Eat five veggies and fruits every day. Remember if it came from a plant- eat it; if it was made in a plant- don't ( Michael Pollan) What it requires- will require some planning initially but once it becomes part of your routine then it won’t need any extra time or efforts.